Jose R Sanchez
Born: 3/21/1927, McPhee, Colorado
Jose was born on March 22, 1927, in McPhee, Colorado to Jose E. & Martina (Salazar) Sanchez. He was raised by his maternal grandmother, and attended school in Colorado prior to joining the Armed Forces. He served three years in the Army/Air Corp during WWII and the Japan Occupation.
After his discharge, he worked for Geneva Steel in the coal mines in Dragerton, Utah, where he met his wife, Pilar Hurtado. They were married in 1951 and raised ten children: Daniel (Bonnie); Eleanore (Rex) Dana; Gloria (Bruce) Ross; Molly (Dee Wayne) Heil; Miguel (Debbie); Rebecca Sanchez; David (Charlotte); Theodore (Deanna); Robert (Carol); Dominic. They moved to Moab in 1964, where he worked in the Potash and Uranium mines before working for the Forest Service as a Master Mechanic. He retired in 2006 after surviving colon cancer.
Jose had a love for family; gardening; woodworking, fishing and all things outdoors. In his wood shop, called the ”Scrap Shop” he used various types of wood to create unique forms of art such as Intarsia, 3-D ornaments, Fretwork and scrolled wood items.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Jose E. and Martina; twelve of his 17 brothers and sisters; one grandchild who died in infancy. He is survived by his wife, Pilar, his ten children; 29 grandchildren; 54 great-grandchildren and three great-great-grandchildren.
Jose requested to be cremated. Memorial services will be held at a later time. The family will announce the date.
Tributes:Very sad and sorry Pilar to you and your family. What a legacy he left. My dad Louie Nicol talked of him fondly . RIP❤❤❤❤
- Bren Nicol WilliamsPilar, I am so so sorry to hear of Joe's passing. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. You are a special friend and my heart breaks for your loss. Love and hugs.
- CarolynPilar, Our Condolences to you & your family. Please know that we are thinking of you. And Love you!
- Debbie, Joe & Kailee Thurman Erla & Tami LovatoPilar and Sanchez Family, My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time. I am saddened to hear of the passing of your sweet husband (father).
- Jerry and Debbie SwaseyPilar, I just seen this, Our sincere condolences. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you! Please let us know if we can do anything for you. Love you!❤❤❤
- Ruby & Danny RobinsonPilar, we just saw the death notice of Jose Sanchez. We try to keep connected to the people we care for from Moab, even though we are in AZ now...we think of you often and send prayers to you and your family at this sad time.
- Shawn and Jody Ellis
PLEASE NOTE: Pictures and Tributes will be reviewed before being posted. We will post them ASAP, we appreciate your patience. PLEASE DON'T RESUBMIT.
© 2007-2013 Spanish Valley Mortuary